Sertraline, me and World Mental Health Day

(t/w depression, anxiety, therapy, anti-depressants)

This pill is an antidepressant called Sertraline. It's known as an SSRI, or a "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor."




Serotonin is a hormone which is responsible for many functions within our bodies, including helping blood to clot, regulating our sleep and various bowel functions. It is also a neurotransmitter, which is a chemical in the brain that carries information between neurons. When a message in the brain reaches a gap between two neurons, the neurotransmitter is released to carry the message across to the next neuron, and then reabsorbed.

Serotonin is also believed to help regulate our mood and happiness levels. Lower levels of serotonin in the brain have been linked with depression and other mental health conditions.

An SSRI works by stopping (or "inhibiting") serotonin from being reabsorbed. As a result, more serotonin is present in the brain. Preventing the serotonin from being reabsorbed is believed to help reduce depression and other conditions by forcing more serotonin to be present in the brain.

Sertraline is not the only type of SSRI. Others you might have heard of include Citalopram and Fluoxetine, and these drugs often carry different names in other countries.

SSRIs don't work for everyone in the same way. Some people receive intense side effects from one that they might not get from another. And as with many types of medication, there are possible side effects which people need to be aware of.

***

I went through one round of talking therapy during my first year at university, which helped a lot in the short-term. Longer-term however, it became harder to maintain and use what I'd learned in those sessions, and so I went back for more in the second half of 2018. Towards the end of those sessions, my counsellor recommended I go back to my GP and discuss alternatives to what I'd been doing with her.

And so since March 2019, I have taken one of these pills of Sertraline every day. Initially, I was really reluctant to start taking anti-depressants, because I'd heard lots of negative stories, and I was worried about the stigma of being on medication for my depression and anxiety. 

I started on a dose of 50mg (the standard initial dose), but whilst waiting to start CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), my GP and I decided that it would be helpful to increase the dosage to 100mg, which I've been taking since August 2019. 

I can't say it's been the easiest experience. In the first week, I frequently felt nauseous and dizzy, and somewhat spaced out. This kind of "adjustment" is pretty normal for people starting on SSRIs, but it can feel really terrifying when you're in it, because you're trying to stay positive and have faith that the short-term pain is worth it.

For some people, they have to change medication once or a few times to find one which works for them. For others, prescription medication doesn't help them and they find that other treatments work for them.

For me, I found that my emotions were more regulated, with the extreme waves of anxiety and depression being moderated by the effects of the medication. Taking Sertraline once a day along with CBT sessions throughout my final year at university was so helpful in understanding the causes behind my depression and anxiety, and starting to find ways of managing and overcoming it.

And of course, my journey would be far far more difficult if I didn't have an awesome support network around me, full of people I can confide in and lean on in the bad times and the good.

Living with my conditions is an ongoing journey, with ups and downs. Some days are great. Some days are horrific and dark. But I know that seeking help was the right thing to do.

(I spoke more about mental health on my podcast - the World to Rights Podcast - with my friends Kat, Piers and Sadie. If you'd like to check it out for yourself, here's the link to the episode on YouTube: https://youtu.be/rM364C6GGPs. You can also listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and many other places!)

***

So today on World Mental Health Day, I just want to say:
  •  if someone you know tells you they're struggling with their mental health, you don't need to have all the answers. Just being there for them is such an amazing start.
  • Yes, I'm sure they have "just tried being happy." Don't tell people that. It's not helpful. They've also tried "just smiling more" and "trying to take their mind off it."
  • A lot of the time there is no quick fix. That's okay. Be there for them, try to understand and learn what they need.
  • and if you struggle with your mental health, you're not alone. There is help out there, and if you need to talk, please reach out. We gotchu.

***
Sources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts on England, 2021

The 'right kind' of grief

Burning out and rising up